Tuesday 18 March 2014

Wasting Time with Mari Takahashi

I will be the first to admit that I spend far too much time on video games. Well actually, my mother would be the first one, since she manages to point it out at any given opportunity. But unfortunately, in the age in which we live, the gods of technology, who previously had been so benevolent in their blessings, decided that we all needed to be taken down a few pegs.

After being granted the gift of the internet, allowing us to garner knowledge in moments, we were then endowed with this encyclopedic skill at our very fingertips when Wikipedia decided to create a mobile phone app. Couple this with a 3G network, and never again will an argument ensue over what the names of the couple next door in Bewitched were, and pub quizzes are now little more than a challenge to be the first to spot the other team cheating.

Alas, with great power has come great procrastination, as the main use nowadays for the tiny powerhouses we now hold in our hands has become comparable to that of a Nintendo Gameboy. Now, I myself have not owned a games console since buying my PS2 nearly ten years ago, and that in itself was merely because it was cheaper than buying a new DVD player. As such, for the most part (I do allow myself every new Tomb Raider that gets released) I have managed to avoid the countless hour-wasti that accompanies any length of gaming time.

That was until I bought my iPhone about two and a half years ago. 

Since then, I have been reading less, I watch fewer movies, and I am rarely found without the cursed thing in my hands. And for this I blame the advent of iOS gaming. I have a highly addictive personality. As such, the old console games were perfect for me; the were finite. I could obsess for a few days, get the game completed and then move on with my life. Now, however, we have endless updates and expansions of games that don't even require the television to be turned on; one simply has to reach into ones pocket and swipe left.

For me, there are three main culprits;

The Simpsons Tapped Out
I adore city building games. I also love the Simpsons. Put them together, constantly update, and you have me hooked. Sigh.

Candy Crush Saga
I tried so very hard to avoid this game, but when everyone at the restaurant I was working in at the time was playing it, I couldn't help but give in to curiosity. Addictive and ultimately unrewarding, having Candy Crush on my phone is a daily reminder of how glad I am that the removed Flappy Bird from the Apple store before I had the chance to download it.

Marvel's Avengers Alliance
This is the big one. Marvel has always been a big part of my life anyway, and to create what is essentially Pokemon, but with Marvel Universe characters was always going to enthrall me. I've been a daily player of this ruddy game for almost three years now, and with Playdom not in any way slowing the influx of new characters, and Marvel essentially having an infinite amount of heroes at their disposal, there's part of me that fears I shall still be logging on into my retirement years.

I'd like to say that I've learned from this piece of catharsis, that I will now take the knowledge of my addiction and put it towards a brighter, game-free future. But let's face it, next time I'm on the bus, or waiting for an appointment, or simply on the loo, there's just too much temptation at my fingertips. And when YouTube is filled with delightful gamers like the lovely Mari reminding us just how much fun it is to while away the hours, then who is really at fault? 

Let's blame YouTube. 

Mmm... YouTube...





No comments:

Post a Comment