Friday 21 March 2014

Friday Night In with Sarah Silverman

I think I'm getting old. 

Well, actually, as my upcoming birthday and my rapidly greying temples can attest, I am most definitely getting old. And so, at nine thirty on this fine Friday evening in a new town at the end of my first week of a new job, I find myself celebrating in the way to which I have become so very accustomed of late.

Now, don't get me wrong; during my late teens and early twenties, I was by no means against an all night dance session. Indeed, the penchant that my friends and I shared for the grimy nightclubs of Aberystwyth probably still account for many of our current debts.

So why aren't I out this evening partying with my new students? It's not like I wasn't asked to join them on their weekly pub crawl, so why am I not there? Well, the reasons are threefold.

Firstly, and excuse my uncharacteristic prudishness, but I don't want to make a drunken fool of myself in front of my new class. Admittedly, it's a rare occasion that I make a drunken spectacle, but I would rather not run the risk so early in my new job.

Secondly, and arguably the biggest factor, is that I'm budgeting to the hilt for the next week. It's been a quiet couple of months on the work front, and relocating is not cheap. Nosireebob.

Thirdly, is the fact that I seem to have reached a point in my life where more often than not, I simply can't be arsed to go out. Given the choice of a hot bath, a movie and a tasty dinner curled up on the sofa, or battling through the drunken streets to spend money that could be better spent on fun things like rent and groceries, I would choose the Radox anyday. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old, or maybe it's simply a portent of maturity. Or maybe they are the same thing. Who knows?

What I do know though, as I lay on the couch feeling squeaky clean in my dressing gown, chock full of tortellini and chuckling away to the complete season two of The Sarah Silverman Program on DVD is that right now, there are few things I would rather be doing. Shame I don't have any Mississippi Mud Pie. could totally go for Mississippi Mud Pie right now... 


No comments:

Post a Comment