Wednesday 12 March 2014

Rick-Rolled by the Radio with Rick Astley

It's always the first song you hear each morning that gets stuck in your head for the remainder of the day. For me, for whatever reason, usually my iPod being fickle, 90% of my days seem to be filled with Starship's We Built This City. Fortunately it's a song that I absolutely love, and now every time the 3 advert comes on, with the little girl singing it with her cat, I find my mood inexplicably brightened for the next few hours.

One song, however, that infects me like a virus more unwanted than gonorrhoea is Rick Astley's ridiculously annoying Never Gonna Give You Up. 

Even before the tedious Rick-Rolling that swept the globe a few years ago, I hated this song with a vengeance. It's cheesy lyrics, Rick's punchable face, and a voice that simply doesn't fit his image, this was a song that irked me almost as much as Gwen Steffani's ruddy Hollaback Girl. As far as that song goes, I'm with Cleveland Brown...

“I don’t know what a Hollaback girl is, but I have to imagine it’s a foul, disease-ridden thing that wears too much make-up to cover up the fact that it’s a 47-year-old fish dog.”

So this morning, upon jumping in our hire car, on our way to return it to the dealership in our new homestead of Bournemouth, I was horrified to have been aurally affronted by Astley's gurgling tones. And have had that poxy song stuck in my head since.

Screw you Rick Astley. Screw you very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment