Saturday 21 June 2014

The Hunt for Red Hot Pizza with Michelangelo

As a child I never really understood the appeal of pizza. Odd really, considering the enormous fan of Teenage Mutant Hero Turles that I was (and yes, in England, they were "heroes" rather than "ninjas" as ninjas were deemed by the BBC to be far too violent for youngsters in the early nineties), but pizza just seemed to be one of those bizarre "grown up" foods that were simply of no interest to me.

It's slightly odd, therefore, that two decades later, pizza has become my lifeblood. If asked by anyone what one food would I choose if I could only live off one foodstuff, pizza is inevitably the answer. Combining every food-group; dairy, vegetable, meat, carb.. Pizza is the perfect meal to illicit survival.

During my time in Japan, I struggled on a day to day basis to find any food that vaguely resembled the western pizza, sating my cravings only on my too few and too brief visits to Korea, a land where Pizza Hut is far more prevalent, 

Since my return to the UK, my pizza intake (and subsequently my girth) has increased exponentially; it's so easy to simply bung a pizza in the oven, to dial for a take out, or seek out that ellusive "great pizza" you once had on a night out.

Unfortunately, however, since moving to Bournemouth, I have struggled to find that perfect blend of much needed late night stodginess. True, I haven't exactly been living the Michael Alig lifestyle, and as such, my after-hours munchies have been few and far between, but so far, South Coast takeouts have failed to impress. 

It's not much I'm asking for;; a decent crust, a sauce that isn't bought in, and the right toppings-to-cheese ratio. If I can do it day in, day out for a year, then I'm pretty sure experienced shop owners should be able to manage. So after a night of debauchery, off to pick up my mandatory pepperoni on the ya home, I have once again been disappointed. So if anyone knows of where I can get a decent slice in Bournemouth, please let me know pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment