Thursday 19 June 2014

Did You See That Ludicrous Display Last Night? with Maurice Moss

I've never quite understood the appeal of football. When the rest of the boys in my class at junior school were out on the football field, I could be found up in the classroom with the girls doing needlework (a delightful piece of sexual segregation that certainly wouldn't be allowed nowadays), and during my time in Japan I must have repeated over a thousand time that not ALL Englishmen are avid followers of Manchester United.

Indeed, whilst sat watching the opening game of this year's World Cup I must admit to turning to my Brazilian flatmate and asking to be reminded exactly how long a football match actually lasts for.

Amidst my general apathy towards the sport, however, I must admit to getting caught up somewhat in this year's festivities. With Manami collecting the Panini sticker album, and a big money sweepstake going on at work, it's difficult for my obsessive collecting, gambling adicted self not to get swept away in the wave of international celebration.

Working at a foreign language school has also made for a fun first week of the cup; the jovial rivalry between students is simply delightful to behold, with one of my Spanish girls in a semi-suicidal frenzy this morning in the wake of Spain's elimination, and the crowd of Colombian kids pouncing on me in unbridled joy at their team's success as I walked through Bournemouth this evening was just lovely.

Because really, that's what the World Cup is all about; for one month every four years, the whole world puts aside political rivalries and economic worries and instead celebrates in unity the wonderous array of cultures and society that our too often bleak planet has to offer. Watching peoples of every age, race and religion coming together and forgetting their differences is a truly heart-warming sight. The fact that there's football going on at the same time simply gives reason to unity.

So although I really couldn't care less whether or not England get anywhere this year (though I must admit to being somewhat in awe of Mr. Sturridge), I shall be following this year's cup avidly through my melting-pot of students. 

And, for the sake of the sweepstake, keeping my fingers crossed for Brazil taking home the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment