Sunday 25 May 2014

Weird Dreams with Gwyneth Paltrow

For millennia, dreams have confounded mankind. Their lucid yet detached imagery has forever been the subject of debate as to meaning, foresight, or simple craziness of the human psyche.

For the most part, dreams are simply a mish-mash of whatever has been on your mind as of late, whether it be stress, worries, or bizarre thoughts that you've had during the day, all culminating in a wonderland of colour and nonsense. The narrative of dreams is often a TARDIS ride like journey, jumping through time in a way that somehow makes sense within the dream, but when we wake up, we wonder how on earth our mind could have accepted jumping from place to place so rapidly. Indeed, it's much like trying to recall an evening spent drinking absinthe; you know you were in certain places at certain times, but god knows how you got there!

I've been having some pretty crazy dreams recently. I don't know whether it's down to stress (not likely, as I'm pretty happy at the mo), the cold I'm valiantly fighting against, or the vast amounts of cheese I'm eating before bedtime. Whichever it is, my dreaming this week has run the full range from delightfully intriguing to wake-up-in-a-cold-sweat terrifying.

This is why I begin to wonder exactly where my dreams are coming from;

Thursday's dream involved me going for a drink with a member of my family (who shall remain anonymous for legal reasons) in a dank, underground pub, talking about everyday things and whatnot, when suddenly another family member appeared from the shadows, clad in a leather trench coat before surreptitiously beating the first relative into a bloody, dead pulp. I awoke from this nightmare in an uncharacteristic cold sweat. 

So this is where I begin to wonder about how much reality reflects the dreams we have; true, the family members involved are not on the best of terms, but they are folk that I have had little (in one case) to no (in the other) contact with in a fairly long time, and the situation is far from anything I've ever come across. All round weirdness.

And indeed the direct contrast to last night's dream in which I found myself dating Gwyneth Paltrow after meeting her on the set of Glee. Now, I've nothing against Miss Paltrow... She wouldn't necessarily make my top ten list by any means, and I've already professed my adoration for Glee, and as enjoyable as a night at the theatre was, I once again found myself waking up terrified when her male PA decided to fill in for her at the end of the evening...

So where are these bizarre dreams coming from? Is it related to my aforementioned coffee addiction? Or am I simply just a mess of insanity? Probably a bit of both. But you know what? A few more celebrity dates certainly wouldn't go amiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment