Monday 5 May 2014

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo! with Ron Stoppable

From an early age, I've had something of an affinity for Mexico. I remember my friend Tom and I when we were about seven planning to sail across the Atlantic in order to reach Mexico City. My year four geography project was also on Mexico, back in the days when a thousand word project seemed like an unsurmountable climb, rather than the mere introduction of an all-nighter in the college computer lab.

My love of Mexican cuisine flourished during my tenure at a tex-mex restaurant in Durham, where my teenage self not only cut his teeth in the culinary world, but also developed an addiction to quesadillas and burritos. And also chipotle, much to the begrudgement of my poor bottom...

During my time at Leicester Square School of English, I had the utmost privalage to meet one of the loveliest families in the world. I don't often name names in this blog, but César Fernánadez, his sister Dani, step-mum Yadira and family friend Zara are probably the warmest and most welcoming family I have ever had the honour of meeting. They took me, not only to one of the most amazing bars I've ever been to, but also into their fold; I now have an open invitation to Mexico at the drop of a sombrero. The bar, a grungy underground dive named Mestizos (the term given to a half-Spanish, half-Mexican child) was packed to the rafters with Latino party-goers, dancing like their lives depended on it to Mexican tunes as they filled their faces with mouth-watering tacos and knocking back shot after shot of warming tequila. It was, quite honestly, the most life-affirming evening I have ever had.

So today we celebrate Cinco de Mayo, the day on which, in 1862, the Mexican armies overcame French rule at the Battle of Puebla. Since then, the day has represented the passion and heritage of the Mexican people, giving us a reason to celebrate the rich cultures and cuisines of these truly hard-working and caring folk.

So go out, listen to some mariachi music, cook yourself some fajitas (or a naco if you're feeling adventurous!) and revel in the awesomeness that is Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment