Sunday 6 April 2014

Finding a New Fortress with Sheldon Cooper

Being a nerd in the modern world is perhaps not as difficult as it was once upon a time. Indeed, looking back to my teenage years, the advent of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, coupled with the astounding popularity of The Big Bang Theory has at least allowed us to come out of the shadows and show a little pride in our geeky selves. That said, the next time I see a muscle-bound douche-canoe in a "Bazinga!" T-shirt I will not take responsibility for my actions.

The problem is, despite cultural awareness in our lifestyle choice, it is still ruddy difficult to come by that all too precious commodity that fuels our existence; the lowly comic book.

Comics have brought joy into our hearts, and filled the coffers of movie producers, Robert Downey Jr, and of course, Stan Lee for the past few decades, but even though our cinema screens are perpetually playing the celluloid exploits of our favourite heroes (this year alone we have Robocop, 300 2, Captain America 2, Spider-Man 2, a Turtles reboot, Transformers 4, the new X-men, Guardians of the Galaxy and Sin City 2 all hitting the box-office), trying to find the source material on the high street is no easy task. To be frank, I often feel it'd be easy hunting down heroin than heroines on the UK streets.

And so, moving to a new town, giving up my former fortress of solitude in Newcastle's Forbidden Planet, I have been searching for a new supplier of my drug of choice. 

Being told that the nearest FP was a forty minute train ride away at first seemed like a small hurdle, but factor in the £15 return ticket, and an already expensive habit becomes that little bit too rich for this geek's blood.

Fortunately, a little iPhone-based research uncovered a delightful little indie store about twenty minutes' walk from the flat. Not only that, but it's about twenty percent cheaper than my erstwhile dealer. 

So congratulations Frog Brothers of Boscombe, you have usurped the Jotun frost giants of Forbidden Planet and will now be taking my money from me on a monthly basis. Now all I need is a coffee merchants and a purveyor of fine waistcoats and I can say goodbye to that house fund for the next few decades...

No comments:

Post a Comment