Monday 3 February 2014

The Trailer Trap with Kelsey Grammer

I try not to get too excited by trailers. I love going to the cinema, and often enough, save for the mandatory overpriced bag of revels, getting myself in a girly whirlwind of excitement over whatever Hollywood has up its well-lined sleeve is the highlight of my day out.

That said, after the crushing disappointment that was X-Men, The Last Stand, I have learned not to rely too much on what the teasers throw at me. I'm sure you all remember Spring of 2006, sitting comfortably in your local Odeon, or, as I was, gathered around a computer in your housemate's bedroom, grinning to yourself as the Marvel logo filled the screen; "oh" you thought, "after x-men 2, how could Marvel possibly do any wrong??"

And then BAM! Wolverine being awesome! SHAZAM! It's Joss Whedon's cure storyline! JIMMINY! Dark Phoenix coming at ya like Cleopatra! FLAPS! Angel looks amazeballs! BOOMSHANKA! Magneto has a frakin' army! Juggernaut?? Sentinels??? Kelsey ruddy Grammer as Beast???? That was quite frankly the greatest trailer that has ever been! Even watching it back now as I write this, I still find myself believing that if I watch X3 again, it will truly be the most amazing film of all time.

But it's not. X-Men 3 sucks. So very, very much.

From that summer onwards, I swore that I would never again allow myself to get too worked up over a trailer, if only to avoid repeating that most heart-breaking of experiences.

And then it was Super Bowl weekend, and the inevitable TV spots flooded social media like a dancing Korean. And suddenly I'm excited for the summer ahead...

Captain America, The Winter Soldier looks to be the entry into the Avengers legacy that we've all been awaiting since the first Iron Man and I must say that despite my utter ambivalence to The Underwhelming Spider-man, Amazing Spider-man 2 could, potentially, blow some socks off.

But the one trailer that has me already lining up for tickets, is in fact the trailer that didn't even need to exist to have me lining up in the first place; Muppets Most Wanted. I'm a massive Muppets fan, and have been anxiously waiting for the new movie's release since the closing credits of their last outing. But this trailer... You know what, just watch it...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-euRGagRB68

I love trailers. I also hate them. But whatever happens, I'm gonna love the Muppets!






No comments:

Post a Comment