Thursday 19 March 2015

Trapped in a World I Never Made with Howard the Duck

Howard the Duck has always been one of my favourite Marvel heroes. Despite his relative anonymity (save for the godawful George Lucas movie), I have, since the early days of my comic collecting career connected with the anthropomorphic waterfowl much moreso than his humanoid cohorts. Indeed, my copy of the Howard the Duck Holiday Special is one of the prize pieces in my collection. So much is my love for this oft-forgotten character that I actually emitted an ear-piercing squee at Seth Green's brief portrayal of his in Guardians of the Galaxy's post-credit teaser.

His sarcastic, cantankerous nature as he wanders lost in a world that neither he understands or will ever understand him has been a personal comfort in my so often confusing and meandering existence.

And so, this week, it was with great delight that I arrived at my local comic book shop to discover the first issue in his new on-going series awaiting me in my drawer. 

Still, after decades stuck on this earth, Howard is struggling to find his place; a plethora of useless knowledge and experience still leave him without any real direction in life. And yet, he picks himself up; the under-duck if you will, and determines to find his place.

So, after months away from the blogosphere, without writing, without drawing, and indeed without any real path ahead, I figured, if Howard can pick himself up again, then why the hell can't i?

So some resolutions;

Take Control
Drop the dead weight and start doing the more productive stuff in life; I've come to realise in the last few weeks exactly what's been getting me down, and now I'm working on the a aspects of my job and my home life that actually keep me motivated. Teaching students that actually want to learn rather than those simply looking to coast through life without really giving a damn.

Regain my creativity
I've been kidding myself over the last few months that I haven't had time to pursue my artistic outlets; the manga I've had in mind for the last year, the half-dozen unfinished songs, even the simplistic ritual of this blog have all gone unattended for far too long, and it's time to get my groove back.

Stop worrying about moolah
Not a day begins of late where I don't immediately check my bank account. Sure, I'm not swimming in a giant money bin, but I'm getting by, and perhaps it's time to let the savings grow naturally rather than keep being so negative about minimal interest.

All in all, I just need to start grabbing life by the cahones again. After all, if a duck from another dimension can do it, then why the heck can't I?

Waugh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment